ACM BS Dhanoa receives Baton of Chairman COSC
The Chief of the Air Staff (COAS) Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa received the baton of Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) from Admiral Sunil Lanba, the outgoing Chief of the Naval Staff and also COSC Chairman.
Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa will take over as new Chairman COSC with effect from 31 May 2019 consequent to release of charge by Admiral Sunil Lanba upon hus superannuation.
About Admiral Sunil Lanba
- The Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba will retire on 31 May 2019 after a distinguished career spanning more than four decades. Admiral Lanba served as 23rd Chief of the Naval Staff of the Indian Navy.
- The Commands held by him includes Eastern Naval Command, Southern Naval Command.
- He has been an ardent supporter of Tri-Services (Indian Army- Indian Airforce- Indian Navy) Jointmanship. He was instrumental in harmonising the efforts of three Services in a number of Tri Services issues.
- He has been Awarded- Param Vishisht Seva Medal and Ati Vishisht Seva Medal.
About ACM Birender Singh Dhanoa
- The Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa is an alumni of Rashtriya Indian Military College and the National Defence Academy (NDA). He was commissioned in the Flying Branch of Indian Air Force (IAF) in June 1978.
- Flying Experience: He is an experienced fighter pilot and a qualified category (CAT) ‘A’ Flying Instructor. He has more than 3000 hours of flying experience to his credit. The ACM has predominantly flown the MiG-21 aircraft along with flying experience across entire spectrum of fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- He was the Commanding Officer of a frontline ground attack fighter squadron during the Kargil war (1999).
- He has also held several coveted operational and staff assignments such as the command of a frontline fighter Base, Chief Instructor (Air) at Defence Services Staff College (DSSC), Director Fighter Operations and War planning at Western Air Command, Senior Air Staff officer of two operational Commands and Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Intelligence) at Air HQ. He has also served as the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of South Western Air Command and has also been Vice Chief of the Air Staff (VCOAS).
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Defence Current Affairs
Topics: Admiral Sunil Lanba • Birender Singh Dhanoa • Chief of the Air Staff (COAS) Air Chief Marshal • Chief of the Naval Staff • Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) • Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) • Director Fighter Operations and War Planning • Kargil War 1999 • MiG-21 • National Defence Academy (NDA) • Rashtriya Indian Military College • Vice Chief of the Air Staff (VCOAS)