Aadhaar to be linked with caste, domicile certificates
Union Government has asked all state governments to link Aadhaar with caste and domicile certificates to be issued to school students.
It is the first-of-its-kind initiative to be undertaken by Union Government to issue these certificates to the students within 60 days when they are studying in Class V or VIII.
- Union Government is seeking support of state governments to link Aadhaar with caste and domicile certificates to curb harassment faced by citizens to obtain these certificates.
- It will also help to timely grant of scholarship to students belonging to the Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) without any delays.
- State government may also try to get the information of students if feasible to fed it into the meta data to be made online that may be further linked to Aadhaar enabled data.
Why caste or tribe or domicile certificates are issued?
- The responsibility for issuance of residency (domicile) and caste certificates rests with the States and Union territories.
- These certificates are issued to facilitate access of bona-fide to candidates belonging to the SC/ST categories to the reserved posts and services under the Central and State governments.
- They also serve important document to secure admission in educational institutions and get other facilities.
- Aadhaar is a 12-digit number which acts as a proof of identity and address anywhere in the country. It is considered as the world’s largest national identification project.
- Its objective is to collect the biometric and demographic data of residents, store them in a centralised database.
- The Aadhaar number is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2016