5 lakh government vehicles to be converted into e-vehicles
The Minister of Environment and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar flagged off the electric vehicles procured by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting in New Delhi.
- The minister announced that all the 5 lakh government vehicles are to be converted into electric vehicles.
- The process is to be carried out in phased manner
- The purpose of the step is to reduce the dependence of the country on Petrol and Diesel
- This will save 832 million litres of petrol and diesel and will reduce 2.23 million tons of carbon-dioxide being released.
- This will aid in achieving India’s commitment towards reducing GHG (Green House Gas) emission by 33% to 35% by 2030 as compared to 2005
- India is home to 14 out of 20 most polluted cities in the world. Electric Vehicles help improve the scenario by reducing local concentrations of pollutants in cities.
Requirements to achieve EV plan
According to the NITI Aayog, the following steps will help implementing EV based plans successfully
- Providing Charging infrastructure
- Increasing the efficiency of vehicles before converting all the vehicles to electric. This can be achieved by incentivising developments to increase vehicle efficiency.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|