3 day Flamingo Festival begins near Pulicat Lake in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh
3 day Flamingo Festival has begun at the famous brackish water of Lake Pulicat in Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary located at Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh. It will be hosted in Doravari Satram mandal, in Nellore district.
This festival provides a unique opportunity for people, particularly ornithologists, environmentalists, bird watchers, forest and tourism officials
- To study the bio-diversity of Pulicat and Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary
- To initiate measure to conserve the bio-zones for future generations in this area.
It also promotes eco-tourism in the district. In this three day festival, several cultural and entertainment programmes will take place.
Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary
- The Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary, considered one of the biggest habitats for some hundreds of pelicans and other birds.
- It is located about 20 km north of the Pulicat Lake on the Andhra Pradesh-Tamil Nadu border.
- This sanctuary spread in an area about 459 hectares.
- Every year from October to March, different species of migratory birds, roosting migrants and some rare and endangered species from various parts of the world visit the habitat.
- This sanctuary plays important role in nesting of various birds especially migratory birds.
- Birds found in this sanctuary are: Flamingos, Pelicans, Siberian Storks, Open Billed Storks, Night Herons, Egrets, Little Cormorant, Golden Backed Wood Pecker, Spotted and Ring Doves, King Fishers, Painted Storks, White Necked Storks, Spoon Bills and other species of birds.
- The villagers in area nearby to this sanctuary treat the migratory birds with affection and provide protection to them.
Category: Art & Culture Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|