25 May: World Thyroid Day observed
Every year 25 May is observed as World Thyroid Day globally. The year 2019 marked commemoration of 11 years of Global Thyroid Awareness.
About World Thyroid Day
- Background: World Thyroid Day was established in 2008. It was formed as part of a campaign led by the American Thyroid Association and European Thyroid Association to emphasize prevalence of thyroid diseases globally, to increase awareness of new treatment modalities and to focus on urgent need for education and prevention programs.
- Objective: to promote awareness and understanding about thyroid health and the advancements made in treating thyroid diseases.
Thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in middle of lower part of the neck. Thyroid hormones play an important role in regulating metabolism and energy use and affect almost all of the human body’s organs.
- The primary function of Thyroid is to control body’s metabolic rate. It is also known as the master gland of metabolism.
- In order to control body’s metabolic rate it produces T4 (Thyroxine) and T3 (Triiodothyronine) hormones which instruct cells in body to use energy.
- In early stages, a person may not notice any symptoms of Thyroid. But, in absence of treatment, Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland) or Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland) can lead to severe complications, like heart disease and infertility.
- Healthy Thyroid gland can be maintained by-
- Increasing iodine intake
- Staying lean, fit and maintaining healthy weight
- Increasing intake of anti-oxidants
- Consuming nuts that have high selenium content
Prevalence of Thyroid Disorders in India
- Thyroid disease contributes to a significant burden in India and across the world.
- As per a clinical survey estimates around 32% of people suffer from various thyroid related disorders in India like hyperthyroidism thyroid nodules, thyroiditis, goitre, hypothyroidism and thyroid cancer.
2019 edition of World Thyroid Day (WTD)
The World Thyroid Day (WTD) is observed every year on May 25 to promote awareness and understanding ...
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|