13th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas held in New Delhi
The 14th edition of Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) was held in New Delhi.
The event was inaugurated by the Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and attended by Priti Patel, United Kingdom’s Minister of State (MoS) for Employment.
On this occasion it was announced
- Government is considering issuing of Aadhaar cards to non-resident Indians (NRIs).
- Mandatory for women workers going to Gulf countries to go through government agencies in order to ensure they are not duped by recruiting agents or firms.
Significance of 2016 PBD
- It was the first limited edition of the PBD after government had decided to limit the conference as a biannual event.
- Earlier PBD used to be celebrated by the MOIA. But this edition was organised for the first time after the government’s decision to merge Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) with by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
About Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas
- PBD is being held annually since 2003 by MOIA to foster greater interaction between the Indian Diaspora and Indian government.
- It provides the diaspora a single platform to put forth their issues and grievances before the government and in turn government can leverage their resources in nation building activities.
- It is held annually on 9 January to mark the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India i.e. on 9 January, 1915.
Topics: Current Affairs 2016
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|