Discuss effects of volcanic eruptions. Why the Pacific region is known as the ring of fire?
Recently Mount Sinabung volcanoï¿½has erupted. It is inï¿½Sumatra Island, western Indonesia. It had erupted in 2010 for the first time in past 400 years. Its eruption has again grabbed the attention of the environmentalists towards the phenomenon of volcanic eruptions.
Volcanism refers to an exogenous activity which includes the formation of magma, its upward movement, and ejection of magma on the earth s surface, and its cooling and solidification.
Negative effects of volcanic eruptions:
- Violent earthquakes are associated with volcanic eruptions which have often caused damage to life and property
- In coastal areas, they can cause tsunamis which have often caused the large destruction of life and property
- Different gases released from volcanic eruptions such as carbon dioxide, hydrogen fluoride, Sulphur Dioxide etc. are hazardous to human life and environment
- Large volcanic eruptions inject a large number of Sulphur aerosols in the stratosphere which can lead to the lowering of surface temperature and increase in the depletion of Ozone layer
Positive effects of volcanic eruptions:
- Volcanic eruptions are responsible for the formation of new landforms such as islands, plateaus, Volcanic Islands, and mountains etc.
- Volcanic eruptions are also the source of mineral resources. They bring useful and important minerals resources to the surface of Earth
- The landforms formed by the volcanic eruptions are also great tourist spots and have a great natural beauty
- Volcanic rocks are used as raw materials for various building and Engineering purposes etc.
The Ring of Fire is a Pacific region home to over 450 volcanoes, includingï¿½three of the worldï¿½s four most active volcanoes ï¿½ï¿½Mount St. Helens in the USA, Mount Fuji in Japan and Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines. The Pacific Plate hits other plates nearby and that causes them to sink because ofï¿½O-O or O-C convergence. The Ring of Fire is the result of plate tectonics.
Published: June 10, 2019 | Modified:October 15, 2020