GK & Current Affairs – August 17, 2016
1. What is the India’s rank in the 2016 Global Innovation Index (GII)?
India has been ranked 66th in the 2016 Global Innovation Index (GII), according to the latest released report by Cornell University, INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). The list is topped by Switzerland, followed by Sweden, the UK, the US, Finland and Singapore.
2. India’s first comprehensive “Crime Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS)” has been launched by which state government?
The Maharashtra government has recently launched India’s first comprehensive ‘Crime Criminal Tracking Network System’ (CCTNS) through 42 cyber labs in Mumbai on August 15, 2016. Under the CCTNS, all police stations in the state will be linked with one another for sharing information about crimes in their respective jurisdictions and pave the way for a digital police force in Maharashtra.
3. Which Indian scientist has bestowed with the 2016 Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam award?
Answer: P Shanmugam
P Shanmugam, the Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI)’s Principal Scientist, has bagged the 2016 Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award for meritorious services in the Higher Education Department of Tamil Nadu at Fort St George in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It is awarded by the Government of Tamil Nadu, which consists of a certificate, Rs. 5 lakh cheque and 8 gram gold medal.
4. The 2016 SAARC youth parliamentarians conference on “Peace & Harmony for Development” has started in which of the following cities?
The 2016 South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) youth parliamentarians conference on “Peace and Harmony for Development” has started from August 16 in Islamabad, Pakistan and will continue till August 18. From India, Lok Sabha MP Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo is leading the 3-member Indian delegation.
5. Gurdial Singh, who passed away recently, was a famous writer of which language?
Gurdial Singh (83), the world famous prominent Punjabi writer, novelist and short story writer and Jnanpith awardee, has recently passed away at Bathinda, Punjab. His notable works include Anhoe, Addh Chanani Raat, Anhe Ghore Da Daan, etc.
6. The first National Conference of Investigating Agencies was held in which of the following cities?
The first National Conference of Investigating Agencies was held from August 12 to 13, 2016 at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi. The two-day conference was inaugurated by the Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh. The conference was attended by more than 100 delegates from States/UTs/Central Police Organisations.
7. Who has been appointed as the new Governor of Assam?Jagdish Mukhi has been appointed the new governor of Assam, as President Ram Nath Kovind announced new governors for five states.
8. Who has been honoured with the 2016 Tamil Ratna Award?
Answer: A.R. Rahman
A.R. Rahman,the Oscar-winning music maestro, has been honoured by the New York-based Tamil Sangam with its Tamil Ratna Award. Rahman was bestowed with the award after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) to honour M.S. Subbulakshmi’s birth centenary. The concert was sponsored by the India’s UN Mission and Sankara Nethralaya, a Chennai-based charity organization.
9. The book “A Book of Light: When a Loved One Has a Different Mind” has been authored by whom?
Answer: Jerry Pinto
The book “A Book of Light: When a Loved One Has a Different Mind” has been authored by Jerry Pinto. The book is a collection of stories from people who recount their experiences of living with loved ones with a mental illness. In a society where the subject is rarely discussed openly, even among family, the book reminds us that we need many more such personal accounts.
10. Who has been appointed as the new Governor of Manipur?
[B]Prof Jagdish Mukhi
[C]VP Singh Badnore
Answer: Najma Heptullah
Najma Heptullah, the former Union Minister for Minority Affairs, has been appointed as the new Governor of Manipur. She will succeed V Shanmuganathan, Governor of Meghalaya, who was holding additional charge as Manipur Governor since September 2015. .Check the Video version of this quiz here
Question Category: Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|