Assam’s highest civilian award
The Assam government has recently announced the recipients of three prestigious awards: “Asom Baibhav,” “Asom Sourav,” and “Asom Gourav” for the year 2022-2023. These awards recognize and honor individuals who have made significant contributions to the state and its people.
- Asom Baibhav is the highest civilian award given by the Assam government and this year’s recipient is Dr. Tapan Saikia. A resident of Naharkatia, Dibrugarh in Assam, Dr. Saikia is a patron of the Deesikha Foundation and has made significant contributions towards generating awareness and early detection of cancer in Assam and Northeast States.
- Dr. Saikia currently serves as the Head of Medical Oncology and Research Director at Prince Aly Khan Hospital and the Director of Oncology Sciences at the Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre in Mumbai. In addition, he has worked as an MD and external examiner at AIIMS Delhi and Allahabad University.
- The Asom Baibav award comes with a cash prize of Rs 5 lakhs and the recipient is entitled to medical treatment at government expense for the rest of their life.
- The Asom Sourav award is given to individuals who have made outstanding contributions in their respective fields. This year’s recipients are Krishna Roy, Gilbert Sangma, Dr. Binoy Kumar Saikia, and Dr. Sashidhar Phukan.
- The award carries a reward of Rs 4 lakhs and recipients are entitled to medical treatment at government expense up to Rs 3 lakhs each year.
- The Asom Gourav award recognizes individuals who have made exceptional achievements in their respective fields. This year’s recipients are Debajit Barman, Rustom Basumatary, Manje La, Binanda Hatibaruah, Atul Ch Baruah, Shila Gowala, Dr. Jogesh Deuri, Dr. Pankaj Lal Gogoi, Sarbeswar Basumatary, Manthang Hmar, Dayal Goswami, Dr. Syed Ifthikar Ahmed, and Dr. Dhrubajyoti Sharma.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 3 lakhs and the recipient is entitled to medical treatment at government expense up to Rs 3 lakhs each year.