Indian Railways introduces new AC-3 economy coaches
Indian Railways introduced a new economy class in the AC 3-tier trains.
- With the new coaches, the trains be able to accommodate more passengers.
- Tariff or ticket price for new coaches will be 8 per cent less than the normal AC 3-tier fares.
- The facility is being provided for the first time in “Prayagraj-Jaipur train (train no. 02403).”
- About 50 new coaches have been given to different zonal railways.
- 806 new coaches will be rolled out by the fiscal year 2021-2022.
About new AC 3-tier Economy Class
The new AC 3-tier Economy Class will comprise of two coaches. Number of berths have been increased from 72 to 83.
Significance of new feature
New feature will provide more space to people. It comprises of several features, especially for the disabled. It has a smoke detector, facilities of dining table as well as magazine holder at the SL seat of the train. New coaches also comprise of personalised aircraft-style AC vents at each berth. It also has Divyang-friendly and modular bio-toilets with touch-free fitting.
Ticket price of new coaches is 2.4 times higher than the base price of the existing sleeper class in mail and express trains. For trains operating up to 2000 km, basic fare has been set around Rs 1757 while for trains operating up to 5000 km, base fare will be Rs. 3065.
Indian Railways (IR)
IR is a statutory body working under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Railways. It manages the fourth-largest railway network (by Size) in the World.