Vigyan Jyoti Programme
The second phase of Vigyan Jyoti programme was started on February 11, 221. It was started on the occasion of International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
- The Vigyan Jyoti Programme will spread the programme to encourage the girls to take interest in science.
- It would also encourage them to build a career in STEM.
- The programme would spread to 50 more districts in addition to the 50 more districts across India.
- It would improve by learnings of the past one year and will be expanded to more districts in country in order to empower the women.
- The programme was started because women are under-represented and is a multi-dimensional problem. This problem is needed to be seen from all the angles.
- In the line, the New Education Policy and the Science, Technology and Innovation Policy would also help in removing the constraints.
- These policies would also help in making best use of the demographic dividend so as to progress long in a short time. This in turn would help in increasing the number of women in science.
Vigyan Jyoti programme
It is a new initiative that seeks to encourage girls to take interest in science and build career in this field. The programme was launched by the Department of Science & Technology (DST) in December 2019. It was launched with the objective of creating a level-playing field for the meritorious girls who wants to pursue STEM. The programme is currently running successfully in 50 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNV). In the year 2021-22 it will be expanded to 50 more JNVs. It addresses the underrepresentation of women in various areas of STEM. The programme at first cater to the girls at school level of Class IX to Class XII in order to encourage and empower them to pursue STEM courses.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs