SERB announces Women Excellence Award 2021
The SERB Women Excellence Award was announced on the occasion of International Day of Women and Girls in Science 2021.
- Four young women fellows from the National Science Academies have been awarded for excelling in science and engineering.
- The SERB Women Excellence Award will provide them a grant of Rs. 15 lakhs.
- The grant would be provided for a period of three years to the awardees in order to pursue their research ideas.
Who Won the Award?
The for women scientists who were selected for the awards include:
- Shobhna Kapoor– She is the Assistant Professor at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay. She is working in the area of Chemical Biology. She is an expert in ‘Host-Pathogen Interactions & Membrane Biology, Chemical Biology & Biophysics’.
- Antara Banerjee- She is the scientist in B National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai. She is an expert in Signal Transduction, Endocrinology and Biology of Reproduction.
- Sonu Gandhi- She is Scientist D from the National Institute of Animal Biotechnology, Hyderabad. She is from Bio nanotechnology area who focus on Nano sensors, Design and Fabrication of Label-free Biosensors.
- Ritu Gupta- she is an Assistant Professor in the Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur, Rajasthan. She works on Nanotechnology and is expert in Materials Science, Health & energy, Nanodevices and Sensors.
About SERB Award
The SERB Women Excellence Award is given by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB). It is given in order to support the basic research in the frontier areas of science and engineering. This award was launched in 2013. It is a one-time award and is given to women scientists who are below 40 years of age. It is given to those women scientists who have received recognition from any of the National Academies like Young Scientist Medal, Young Associateship, etc.
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
It is a statutory body working under the Department of Science and Technology. It was established in 2009 by SERB ACT,2008. It is chaired by the Secretary of the Government of India in the Department of Science and Technology. SERB was set up to promote the basic research in science and engineering. It also provides financial assistance to scientists, academic institutions, R&D laboratories etc for doing the research.
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News