The use of Natural gas as an important primary energy source is rising and expected to increase further. Identify the various uses of natural gas and give a brief account of its distribution globally.
The natural gas is a clean fossil fuel and forms important constituent of India’s energy basket.
Uses of natural gas:
- As fuel for power generation.
- As fuel for industries, such as fertilizers, plastics, etc.
- Usage in households as LNG in place of LPG.
- Usage in vehicles as CNG.
- Ingredients in dyes and many other chemical industries.
Distribution of natural gas globally:
- Russia – largest natural gas reserve, gas fields in west Siberia.
- United States – largest producer of natural gas.
- Canada and Mexico – important producers.
- Middle East – many natural gas and oil reserves are located simultaneously. Iran and Qatar are important producers.
- Africa – not significantly explored, but huge potential.
- Asia – India has gas reserves in west coast and on east coast (Krishna-Godavari basin).
- South East Asia is an important producer.
Natural gas is more evenly distributed than other fossil fuels and hence has immense potential to be fuel of future. There is a need to increase exploration and make natural gas production even higher to make India a gas based economy similar to other developed economy.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|