IIT Madras to Develop Online Marketplace called e-Source
IIT Madras is in process of developing an online platform called e-Source that will be used to tackle electronic wastes (e-waste).
- E-Source will be used to tackle e-waste by linking stakeholders of the formal and informal economy.
- e-Source will act as an exchange platform to serve as an online marketplace for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE).
- It will also act as a formal supply chain between several stakeholders, including buyers and sellers.
- This initiative is being headed by Indo-German Centre for Sustainability (IGCS).
- According to IGCS team, problem of e-waste can be resolved by connecting buyers and sellers of Used and Waste electronic equipment without compromising their interests.
What is the need of e-Source initiative?
To formalize e-waste handling and management, a novel open-source solution is needed which is data enriched and leveraging the potential of transparency because, e-waste either completely stripped down to get precious metals and other high-value materials or are dumped in landfills, without exploring potential re-use. Such unscientific recycling methods e-waste are harmful for waste handlers as well as environment.
As per a study, world generates 53.6 million tonnes of e-waste annually. This amount is expected to double in next 16 years. Such waste is pressing issues in India as well. India is the world’s third-largest producer. It generated 38 percent more e-waste in between 2019-2020.
What waste generation in India is a concern?
because, in India, only 5 percent of e-waste is recycled responsibly.
Features of e-Source
A unique feature of e-Source initiative is that, it will deploy a detection system which uses a combination of image processing and natural language processing techniques in order to get product information and upload it to the database. Furthermore, it can be self-certified by means of prescribed standard protocols.
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|