BRICS-Agricultural Research Platform- Key Facts
Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar, chaired the 11th Meeting of BRICS on August 27, 2021.
- Ministers of Agriculture from Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa held meeting virtually under the theme- “BRICS Partnership for Strengthening Agrobiodiversity for Food and Nutrition Security”.
- BRICS grouping brings the major emerging economies of the world together. It accounts for 41% of the world population, contribute about 24% of the world GDP and is having 16% share in world trade.
- BRCS ministers acknowledged need of strong agricultural research base in BRICS countries, need to harness & share knowledge, facilitate transfer of technologies from lab to land, maintaining agrobiodiversity as well as ensuring sustainable use of natural resources.
Steps taken by India for SDG
- According to the union minister, BRICS countries are well-positioned to take a leading role to help in achieving the objectives of 2030 Sustainable Development Goals of eradicating hunger and poverty. This goal can be achieved by increasing agricultural production. This can also overcome the problem of increasing farmers’ income, income inequality and food price volatility.
- he noted the efforts made by India in preserving agro-biodiversity by way of establishing and maintaining National Gene banks for plants, animals, insects, fish, and agriculturally important microorganisms.
- India is also promoting diversification of agri-food systems with the help of programs like oilseeds, pulses, National Bamboo Mission, horticultural crops, and National Palm Oil Mission.
- All these programs are running with the objective of increasing income of the farmers and to provide diversification in farm and plate.
Action Plan of 2021-24
BRICS countries also adopted Action Plan of 2021-24 for Agricultural Cooperation of BRICS Countries. The Action Plan provides for an enhanced cooperation in the area of agriculture amongst BRICS nations. It focuses on themes like food security, resilience of food & agricultural production systems, welfare of farmers, conservation of agrobiodiversity, promotion of digital agricultural solutions etc.