How far was popular dissatisfaction with the Provisional Government responsible for its overthrow in October/November 1917?
Published: March 20, 2017
The following are the reasons for the fall of Provincial Government:
- The most unpopular decision taken by the Provincial Government was to continue with the war and then sent hundreds of troops home affecting the morale of the army.
- The Provincial government shared the power with the Petrograd soviet which was a committee of elected soldiers and workers. When the soviets orders the soldiers to obey them then the government could not rely on the army.
- The government delayed the elections and not distributing the land of large estates among peasants as it was promised.
- There was economic crises in which the basic needs of the people were not satisfied.
- As the troops were loyal to Bolsheviks and people also supported them.
Model Questions Month: unclassified