Elucidate meteorological factors that influence urban outdoor air pollution? Throw light on some of the technological and non-technological solution to urban outdoor pollution.
The meteorological factors that influence the urban outdoor pollution are: daily level of precipitation, wind speed, relative humidity, air temperature, and air pollutants (ozone, sulphur dioxide, carbon dioxide, particulate matter PM10, and nitrogen dioxide).
Technological solutions to urban outdoor pollution
- Do away with diesel fuel and switch to alternative fuels like biodiesel, ethanol and CNG
- Electrification of public vehicles
- Use of Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs)
- Switch to higher emission norms (For example, Bharat Stage VI (BS VI) from Bharat Stage IV (BS IV))
- Use of new modes of public transport such as Metrinos and Pod Taxis, Hyperloop, Monorail, Hybrid Buses, Straddled Bus, and metros
Non-technological solutions to urban outdoor pollution
- Urban planning
- Reduce driving and increase cycling & walking
- Integrate cycling into the national school curriculum
- Adopting carpooling system
- Voluntary reductionor restriction on use of private vehicle
- Promote use of public transport (155 words)