Green Energy Corridor Phase II
On January 6, 2022, the Government of India approved Green Energy Corridor Phase – II. The estimated outlay of the phase is Rs 12,031 crores. Under this phase, 10,750 kilometres of transmission lines are to be constructed and 27,500 MVA sub stations are to be added. MVA is Mega Volt Ampere. These additions are of the renewable energy generated in different parts of the country. The project is to be implemented in seven states. They are Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Kerala, Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat.
About the project
- The Green Energy Corridor Phase II will be implemented between 2021-22 and 2025-26.
- 33% of the project cost is to be provided by the central government. That is, Rs 3,970 crores. The Central Government’s assistance will reduce the intra – state transmission costs. And will ultimately reduce the cost of the power supplied.
- It will help India achieve its target of 450 GW of renewable energy by 2030.
- It will generate direct and indirect employment opportunities.
- The project will boost energy security of the country.
Green Energy Corridor Phase I
It is being implemented in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan. It aims to generate 24 GW of renewable power. It is to be completed by 2022. It will add 22,600 MVA of substations and 9,700 km of transmission lines. This is being implemented at a cost of Rs 10,141 crores. Here the central government has contributed Rs 4.056 crores, that is, 33% of the cost.
What is Green Energy Corridor?
The project aims to synchronize the electricity produced from solar, wind and other renewable sources with the conventional grid. In 2015 – 16, the Intra State Transmission System Project was launched. It delivers electricity within the state. The project includes substations, transmission lines and all other associated equipment.
Renewable Energy rich states of India
AP, Karnataka, HP, MP, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|