GK & Current Affairs: July 14, 2013
1. Recently, Jean-Claude Juncker, the longest serving Prime Minister in the European Union, announced his resignation following a spying scandal. Jean-Claude Juncker was the Prime Minister of which of the following countries?
Luxemburg’s Prime Minister longest Jean-Claude Juncker has resigned after being forced out of power by his coalition partner for failing to curb the excesses of the secret services. Jean-Claude Juncker, prime minister since 1995.
2. Consider the following personalities:
1. Ranjit Sinha
2. T S Vijayan
3. S K Roy
4. Pratip Chaudhary
Which among the following is the correct set of organizations which they represents?
[A] IrDA, CBI, LIC, SBI
[B]CBI, IrDA, LIC, SBI
[C]CBI, NABARD, LIC, SBI
[D]CBI, NABARD, UTI, SBI
CBI, IrDA, LIC, SBI
T S Vijayan is the present Chairman of IRDA (Insurance Regulatory Authority of India), Ranjit Sinha is the current head of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), S K Roy is the Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India and Pratip Chaudhuri is the present Chairman of State Bank of India (SBI).
3. Which of the following parties won the recently held National Assembly Election in Bhutan?
[A]People Democratic Party
[B]Druk Phuensum Party
[C]Bhutan Communist Party
[D]Bhutan National Party
People Democratic Party
Bhutan’s Election Commission formally announced that the People’s Democratic Party won the national assembly elections by having secured a majority of thirty two seats. The Druk Phuensum Party won fifteen seats and was elected as the opposition party.
4. The term Teledensity defined as number of telephone connection for every ____ individuals living within an area. Fill in the blank.
Telephone density or teledensity is the number of telephone connection for every hundred individuals living within an area. Telephone density has significant correlation with the per capita GDP of the area. It is also used as an indicator of economic development of the country or specific region.
5. Which of the following two gases are used to disinfect water in sewage treatment facilities?
[A]Oxygen and Chlorine
[B]Ozone and Chlorine
[C]Helium and Nitrogen
[D]Nitrogen and Helium
Ozone and Chlorine
Ozone and Chlorine are the two gases used to disinfect water in sewage treatment.
6. With reference to the Indira Awas Yojana, which among the following statements is / are correct?
1. The allotment for each dwelling unit was increased from 45000 rupees to 75000 rupees
2. Manual Scavengers, freed bonded labourers and tribal groups will be given preference in allotments
3. Building Toilet has been made compulsory under the Indira Awas Yojana
Choose the correct option from the codes given below:
[B]Only 1 & 2
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
1, 2 & 3
Indira Awas Yojana is a major flagship scheme under the rural development ministry. It addresses rural housing needs by giving grant for construction of dwelling units of BPL families. The government recently approved the new guidelines for the Indira Awas Yojana. According to new guidelines building Toilet has been made compulsory under the scheme. Manual Scavengers, freed bonded labourers and tribal groups will be given preference in allotments and the allotment for each dwelling unit was increased from 45000 rupees to 75000 rupees.
7. Galapagos archipelago is a part of which of the following Oceans?
[D]Bay of Bengal
The Galapagos archipelago are an archipelago of volcanic islands distributed on either side of the Equator in the Pacific Ocean.
8. With the commissioning of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, the total nuclear power generation in the country will stand at__:
With the commissioning of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, the total nuclear power generation in the country will rise to 5780 MWs.
1, 2 & 3
10. Which among the following types of Crude Oil is generally sourced from the North Sea?
Brent Crude is sourced from the North Sea.
Join GKToday's Mock Test Series for UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper 2016 here