Characterise the LGBTQ+ movement along with recent supreme court rulings related to this matter in India.
Published: June 5, 2019
Google has celebrated the 50 years of LGBTQ+ movement with a doodle. The doodle slideshow takes the viewer through five decades of Pride history starting from 1969 to present.
Characteristicsï¿½of LGBTQ+ movement:
- The movement started in 1969 in New York when lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer persons clashed following a police raid on the Stonewall Inn, a gay bar at Christopher Street.
- This riot initiated further protests and led to LGBT pride marches being organised on a much larger public scale.
- June is considered as ï¿½LGBT Pride Monthï¿½ to commemorate the Stonewall riots of 1969.
- Many pride events are held during this month to recognize the impact LGBT people have had world over.
- The Pride Parade is a symbol of celebration and liberation for the entire LGBTQ+ community.
LGBTQ+ movement in India: Homosexual intercourse was a criminal offence from the introduction ofï¿½Section 377 of the Indian Penal Codeï¿½in 1860.Theï¿½Delhi High Court’s 2009 decision inï¿½Naz Foundation v. Govt. of NCT of Delhi changed this order. In 2013, homosexual intercourse was re-criminalized.In 2018, Supreme Court had decriminalized same-sex relationships in India by partially striking down the provisions of Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Model Questions Category: 043 - Government Policies and Interventions for Development in Various Sectors