Cabinet allocates 5 MHz spectrum for Indian Railways
Union Cabinet allocated 5 MHz spectrum in 700 MHz band for Indian Railways. It will help in boosting hi-speed radio communication.
- ₹25,000 crore will be spent in next 5 years to modernize signals and implement 5G spectrum in Railways.
- Collision avoidance system which has been developed by 4 Indian companies under Make in India initiative and real-time communication will make rail travel safer & faster.
- TCAS (Train Collision Avoidance System) and ATP (Automatic Train Protection) System were also given approval.
- Railways has envisaged to provide LTE (Long Term Evolution) based Mobile Train Radio Communication on its route by replacing optical fibre is which is used currently.
- With the availability of spectrum, railway can establish radio communication.
Long Term Evolution (LTE) in Railways
LTE in Indian Railways will be used to provide secure & reliable voice, video & data communication services for operational, safety & security applications. It will be used for modern signalling & train protection systems. LTE can ensure seamless communication between loco pilots & guards and can enable Internet of Things (IoT) based remote asset monitoring of coaches, wagons & locos. It can also enable live video feed of CCTV cameras in train coaches to ensure safer, efficient and faster train operations.
Spectrum charges may be levied on the basis of formula as prescribed by Department of Telecommunications for Royalty Charges and License Fee for Captive use on recommendations of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2021
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs - 2022
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|