Poshan Gyan: Digital Repository on Nutrition Information
NITI Aayog recently launched Poshan Gyan along with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Centre for Social and Behaviour Change, Ashoka University. Poshan Gyan is a National Digital Repository on health and nutrition.
- Poshan Gyan is basically an online resource for any person working in nutrition sector. It is also accessible for any person seeking information to improve nutritional outcomes.
- It holds communication materials that were created by government agencies and other developmental organisations. The communication materials are available in different languages and for different target audience.
- The materials held by Poshan Gyan cover wide range of topics such as complementary feeding, antenatal care, adolescent health, anaemia prevention, diet diversity, etc.
Health and Nutrition in India
In Global Hunger Index, 2020, India ranked 94th out of 107 countries. This says that India is suffering from serious hunger problems. Also, in India, only a tenth of children between 6 and 23 months are fed with minimum acceptable diet.
National Nutrition Mission
- The National Nutrition Mission or the Poshan Abhiyan aims to improve nutritional outcomes in children, lactating mothers and pregnant women. The mission aims to reduce undernutrition, stunting, anaemia and low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% respectively. This is to be achieved by 2022.
- 50% of the budget for the National Nutrition Mission comes from World Bank.
- The National Nutrition Mission is backed by the National Nutritional Strategy. The National Nutrition Strategy was prepared by NITI Aayog. The main aim of the strategy is to attain “Kuposhan Mukt Bharat” or malnutrition free India by 2022.