GK & Current Affairs – April 1, 2, 2016
1. Which of the following is India’s first state to link government colleges to national cancer grid?
The Maharashtra government has recently tied up with the Tata Trusts to link all government colleges and medical colleges with he latter’s national cancer grid. With this, Maharashtra has become the India’s first state to join the initiative. The national cancer grid links all existing and proposed cancer care centres to create a uniform line of treatment for cancer patients across India.
2. According to the HIS Inc recently released report, what is the India’s position in defence spending?
India has become the world’s 4th largest spender on defence according to the US business research provider HIS Inc. According to IHS analysis, India’s defence budget 2016 has increased to 13.1% due to increase in military pay and the introduction of One Rank, One Pension (OROP).
3. With which of the following, the ReNuAL project is related to __?
[A]Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
Answer: Nuclear Science
ReNuAL stands for “Renovation of the Nuclear Applications Laboratories project (ReNuAL)”. It is an IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) initiative focussing mainly on modernization of the nuclear applications laboratories. The countries provide funds to this initiative. India also has made a voluntary contribution of US$ 100,000 in 2015 for the modernization of IAEA’s nuclear applications laboratories in Seibersdorf, Austria under the ReNuAL project.
4. What is the purpose of the recently launched “Gyan Chakra” of Indian Army’s Western Command?
[A]To provide education to youngsters about career in Indian Army
[B]To work as a think tank on strategic and national security issues
[C]To collaborate with educational institutions to impart security related awareness in schools
[D]To set up a network of army schools in the country
Answer: To work as a think tank on strategic and national security issues
Gyan Chakra is the name of a new think tank on Defence and Strategic Affairs formed by the Army’s Western Command. It will provide a platform to army veterans and thinkers to pursue research on strategic and national security issues. It has been established as an extension of the Khetarpal Oicers Institute (KOI), Chandimandir.
5. Which of the following is NOT a function of the Medical Council of India?
[A]Maintenance of uniform standards of medical education
[B]Sanctioning medical colleges in India
[C]Providing ethical oversight in medical education
[D]Maintaining register of Doctors as well as Pharmacists
Answer: Maintaining register of Doctors as well as Pharmacists
The fourth statement is partially incorrect. The MCI was established under the Indian Medical Council Act 1933 and given responsibility for maintaining standards of medical education, providing ethical oversight, maintaining the medical register, and, through amendments in 1993, sanctioning medical colleges. It maintains uniform standards of medical education, both undergraduate and postgraduate. Registration as a pharmacist comes under Pharmacy Act and that job is done by Pharmacy Council of India.
6. What was the venue of recently held fourth Nuclear Security Summit (NSS)?
[A]New York, USA
[B]Washington DC, USA
[C]Seoul, South Korea
[D]The Hague, Netherlands
Answer: Washington DC, USA
The fourth Nuclear Security Summit (NSS) was held in Washington, D.C. on March 31-April 1, 2016. The summits held so far are as follows:
7. Dame Zaha Hadid, who died recently was a world-renowned __:
Dame Zaha Hadid was an Iraq born British architect. She recently died at 65. She was first woman to receive the Pritzker Prize, referred to as the Nobel Prize of architecture, in 2004. The building designed by her include London Olympic aquatic centre, Riverside Museum Glasgow and many others.
8. A news recently reported: “Output from the eight core infrastructure industries grew at the fastest pace in 15 months, clocking a 5.7 per cent growth in February”. Which of the following is NOT among the core infrastructure industries?
[D]Pulp & Paper
Answer: Pulp & Paper
Core sector industries and their weight in IIP is given below:
|Industry||% Weightage in IIP|
|Steel (Alloy + Non-alloy)||6.68|
9. Recently, the Government of India has extended safeguard duty on steel imports till March 2018. The purpose of this move is to protect Indian industry from cheap imports from __?
The government has extended safeguard duty on steel imports till March 2018. The move is aimed at protecting the Indian industry from cheap China steel.
10. Who is the incumbent head of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees?
Answer: Filippo Grandi
Filippo Grandi is an Italian diplomat mainly active with the United Nations’ humanitarian operations. Between 2010 and 2014, he served as Commissioner-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA). .
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »