Daily Current Affairs 2012 Quiz : July 14, 2012
1. Consider the following Statements regarding ‘Global Innovation Index (GII)-2012:
1.INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) have co-published the GII-2012.
2.Sweden ranked first in GII-2012 report which was released recently.
Which among the Statement(s) given above is/are correct?
[C]Both 1 and 2
[D]Neither 1 nor 2
Switzerland has been ranked first in GII-2012.
2. ‘M-SIPS’ is a special incentive package recently approved by the Union Government to promote large-scale manufacturing in the which among the following sectors?
[A]Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)
[B]Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE)
[C]Shipping and Transport Sector
[D]Electronic System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM)
Electronic System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM)
3. Recently the Supreme Court has upheld a ban on commercial and tourism-related activities in the habitat of endangered _______ tribe of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
4. ‘Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development’ will be established as a Category-I institute of UNESCO in :
This would be the first Category-I Institute of UNESCO to be established in the Asia Pacific region. At present, there are eleven UNESCO Category-I institutes and except 3 of them, all are located in developed countries and none is located in Asia.
5. ‘Dow Chemicals’ which is in the midst of controversy regarding its sponsorship of London Olympics, is the parent company of :
Dow’s involvement in the Games — both as one of the International Olympic Committee’s top sponsors up till 2020 and as a provider of a “wrap” for the main stadium — has generated controversy and protest. Dow Chemical is one of many worldwide partners of the Olympics but its selection has been highly controversial due to links between Dow and the Bhopal gas tragedy that killed tens of thousands of Indians in 1984.
6. ‘Cho-Lhamu’ lake, located over 18,000 feet above sea level has been declared the highest lake in the country after a survey conducted by the central government. In this context, consider the following Statements:
1.Teesta river has its origin in Cho-Lhamu lake.
2.Cho-Lhamu lake is situated in Sikkim.
Which of the Statement(s) given above is/are correct?
[C]Both 1 and 2
[D]Neither 1 nor 2
Both 1 and 2
The Wetland Atlas, prepared by the Ministry of Environment and Forest, has stated that Cho-Lhamu is the highest lake in the country and the sixth highest lake in the world. The Teesta river, stated to be the lifeline of Sikkim, has its origin in Cho-Lhamu lake, located near the Donkiala pass and only about five
km from the Indo-China border.
7. Consider the following Statements regarding ‘Salwa Judum’?
1.Salwa Judum literally means ‘purification hunt’.
2.It is a militia of local tribal youth formed with the aim of countering Naxal violence in Kalahandi-Balangir-Koraput(KBK) Region of Orissa.
3.It receives support from the State Government.
Which among the above Statements are correct?
[A]1 and 2
[B]1 and 3
[C]2 and 3
[D]1, 2 and 3
1 and 3
Salwa Judum refers to a militia in Chhattisgarh, India, which is aimed at countering the naxalite violence in the region. The militia consisting of local tribal youth receives support and training from the Chhattisgarh state government. On July 5, 2011, the Supreme Court of India declared the militia as illegal and unconstitutional. The court directed the Chhattisgarh government to recover all the firearms given along with the ammunition and accessories. It also ordered the government to investigate all instances of alleged criminal activities of Salwa Judum.The use of Salwa Judum by the government for anti naxal operations was criticized for its violations of human rights, use of child soldiers and poorly trained uneducated youth for counter-insurgency roles.
8. Who among the following has assumed the charge as the first US Ambassador to Myanmar in 22 years?
[D]Nancy Jo Powell
9. Who among the following is the President of the strife-torn nation ‘South Sudan’?
[B]Salva Kiir Mayardit
[C]Sharif Sheikh Ahmed
Salva Kiir Mayardit
10. ‘Anto Peter’ who passed away recently was a ___________ Champion.
[C]Tamil Language Computing
Tamil Language Computing
« Previous QuizNext Quiz »