NITI Aayog: Handbook on Sustainable urban plastic waste management
The Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, Rajiv Kumar, launched the “NITI Aayog – United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Handbook on Sustainable Urban Plastic Waste Management” on October 12, 2021.
- This handbook was launched in New Delhi.
- The handbook provides a comprehensive overview to manage plastic waste by representing and discussing the components of entire plastic waste value chain.
- It was launched with the motive of spreading awareness amongst the masses regarding the harmful effects of plastic.
- This handbook can be adopted by urban local bodies to a good effect.
Handbook on Sustainable Urban Plastic Waste Management
- Under the handbook, Urban local bodies (ULBs) are mandated to manage municipal solid waste & plastic waste, under the Municipal Solid Waste Management Rules 2016, and Plastic Waste Management Rules 2016, at the city level.
- Handbook is a repository of 18 case studies or best practices from India, and 4 from south Asian countries.
- Repository is divided into four major components:
- Technical models for recycling
- Material Recovery Facilities (MRF)
- Governance for effective plastic waste management
- IEC and Digitization.
- It covers every aspect of plastic waste management service chain.
- It will also enable the Urban Local Bodies and other stakeholders involved in this sector in order to learn from successful business and service models.
- It mentions 10 pillars of change for Central Zoo Authority (CZA) & Indian zoos as well as specific targets & timelines for achieving the ‘Call to Action’ which needs to be realized in 10 years.
Aim of the handbook
The models outlined in this handbook aim to bring sustainable plastic waste management into practice. Several systems approach in this report are aligned with ‘Swachh Bharat Mission 2.0’ and ‘Plastic Waste Management Rules of 2016 & 2018’.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|