Justice A S Oka sworn in as Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court
Justice Abhay Shreeniwas Oka was sworn-in as the Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court. He now becomes 31st Chief Justice of Karnataka HC. His oath of office was administered by Karnataka Governor Vajubhai R Vala, at Raj Bhavan in Bengaluru.
- The Karnataka Chief Justice office had fallen vacant after then incumbent Justice Dinesh Maheshwari was elevated as a Supreme Court (SC) judge in January 2019.
- After erstwhile Chief Justice Maheshwari’s elevation Justice L Narayana Swamy was appointed as Acting Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court
- On 30 April 2019, central government on recommendation of the SC collegium (constituted on April 8) notified the Justice Shreeniwas Oka’s appointment as Chief Justice Karnataka by President Ram Nath Kovind.
About Justice Shreeniwas Oka
- The 58 year old Justice Oka, enrolled as an Advocate in 1983 started his practice in Thane District Court, Maharashtra.
- In 1985-86, he joined office of V P Tipnis, a former Lok Ayukta and former Judge of Bombay High Court and appeared in many major cases including public interest litigations (PILs).
- In August 2003 he was appointed as an additional judge of Bombay High Court in and in November 2005 he was appointed as a permanent Judge.
- Before his appointment as Chief Justice of Karnataka he was serving as second senior-most judge in Bombay High Court.
High Courts in India
According to Article 214 of Indian constitution, each state of India shall have a High Court. The Chief Justice of a High Court is appointed in accordance to Article 217 of Indian constitution by President with consultation of Chief Justice of India (CJI) and the Governor of respective State.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
Topics: Article 214 • Article 217 • Bombay High Court • Chief Justice of India • Chief Justice of Karnataka • CJI • High Courts in India • Justice Dinesh Maheshwari • Karnataka Chief Justice • L Narayana Swamy • Lok Ayukta • President • President Ram Nath Kovind • Shreeniwas Oka