Indian Railways, ISRO ink MoU for Remote Sensing, GIS Technologies
The Union Ministry of Railways and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have signed a MoU for Effective use of Space Technology in Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS) based Governance Application for Indian Railways.
It was signed after the Union Railway Minister in his Budget had announced that Indian Railways will use geospatial and space technology in various sectors of governance.
- The MoU aims at developing applications in the field of Remote Sensing and GIS for Remote Sensing at unmanned railway crossing using ISRO’s advance space technology.
- It also seeks to develop geospatial solutions and customized software solutions for providing reliable, efficient and optimal solutions to Railways in it various areas of operation.
- ISRO will also provide its best technology to solve all the day to day problems of Indian Railways. It will in turn benefit adopt with the new technologies.
Currently, Indian Railways is using Space technology for providing
- Passenger Information System (PIS) in Mumbai Sub-urban trains.
- Emergency Communication using Satellite phones from disaster sites.
- GPS for various applications like Remote Monitoring of Locomotives.
- Synchronized clocks and WiFi facility in selected Rajdhani Express trains.
- Connectivity to Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters and Unreserved Ticketing System at remote and non-rail head locations.