Current Affairs : November 7, 2011
Putin for expansion of SCO membership
- Russin Prime Minister Vladimir Putin told the SCO s Council of Ministers summit in St Petersburg that Russia favoured the expansion of the membership of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- Enlargement will add to the SCO s capabilities, authority and influence. Russia also supported the idea of creating an energy club within the framework of the SCO. Currently India, Pakistan, Iran and Mongolia have observer status in the SCO.
New technique to boost digital learning in schools launched
- “ActiveTeach” a new technology to provide a comprehensive digital learning solution has been introduced for Indian schools. ActiveTeach, a digital solution which goes in sync with the printed books and aims at bridging the gap between text books and digital learning in the classroom environment, has been launched in India by Pearson Education, one of the world s largest education companies.
- It will enable the educator to make every lesson easier and engaging, is designed to be a supportive and empowering teaching experience for teachers and a rich and enlightening experience for students.
Internet users in India crosses the 100 Million mark
- In September 2011, India went past the 100 million mark of internet users, according to the annual I-Cube Report. The Report, jointly published today by Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB. One hundred million Internet users is considered a critical landmark for the country.
- With this Internet use in India is expected to enter a critical period of growth with the possibility of becoming the largest Internet using country in the world in in this decade. As in the previous years, while common access points like cyber cafes continue to be important, there has been a dramatic fall in access from cyber cafes.
India, China to be world’s largest trading partners by 2030:Assocham
- As per Assocham: India and China can emerge as the world s largest trading partners by 2030 with bilateral trade set to rise from 63 billion dollars now to 100 billion dollars in the next four years.
Karvan-e-Aman bus service to PoK suspended because of Eid festival
- The Karvan-e-Aman bus service, operating between Srinagar and Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (POK) was today suspended because of Eid-ul-Auha festival.
Kudankulam n-plant safe, but no negotiator’s role: Kalam
- Former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam vouched for the safety of the proposed Kudankulam nuclear plant in Tamil Nadu, where a protest is underway by local residents against the facility. But he refused to be a negotiator between the protesters and the government.
Amritsar joins pilgrim cities’ pledge to go green
- The newly formed Green Pilgrimage Network, of which the Sikh holy city of Amritsar is the only member from South Asia, has pledged to take a series of steps to turn pilgrim cities green.
China to set up special fund for arts, culture
- China is planning to set up a special fund worth 200 million yuan (around $31 million) to finance arts and cultural performances in a bid to develop the country’s “Soft Power”.
Miss Venezuela is Miss World 2011, Kanishtha Dhankhar of India fails to make it to top 25
- At an extravagant ceremony at the Earls Court in London, Miss Venezuela Ivian Sarcos crowned Miss World 2011. Miss India World Kanishtha Dhankhar failed to make it to the top 25. Miss Philippines Gwendoline Ruais was the first runner-up and Miss Puerto Rico Amanda Perez became the second runner-up. Model-turned-actress Priyanka Chopra was the last Indian model to win the title in 2000.
Topics: Beauty pageants • Dhankhar • Femina Miss India • Gwendoline Ruais • India • International Relations • Internet café • Ivian Sarcos • Kanishtha Dhankar • Miss World • Politics by country • Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|