Current Affairs: January 22-23, 2012
T.R. Ramachandran re-elected Press Club of India president
- The Press Club of India announced that veteran journalist T.R. Ramachandran of G-Files has been re-elected president and Anil Anand of Greater Kashmir is the new secretary general.
Leshka project in Meghalaya starts Power generation
- The Leshka power project in Meghalaya s Jaintia Hills district has started its power generation through its first unit.
- The Leshka project, being set up at a total cost of Rs 785.88 crore, has also proven to be economically conducive for production as it rates at Rs 6.24 crore per mega watt translating to a cost price of Rs 2.42 paise per unit of electricity consumed.
Sudarshan to represent India in Japan Snow sculpture contest
- International acclaimed sand artist Sudarshan Patnaik from Odisha will represent India in the 39th International Snow Sculpture Contest to be held in February 2012 at Sopporo in Japan.
Shahid Afridi appointed UN Goodwill Ambassador against drug abuse
- Pakistani cricketer Shahid Afridi has been appointed United Nations Goodwill Ambassador on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) for a two-year period.
- Shahid Afridi will speak out against drug abuse and promote healthy living through sports in his new role as National Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
Team Anna decides to observe 26 January as ‘Save Republic Day’
- Team Anna decided to observe January 26 as Save Republic Day throughout the country and call upon people for direct participation in democracy.
Justice (retd) Chandrashekaraiah sworn in as Upa Lokayukta in Karnataka
- Former Karnataka High Court Judge, Mr Justice Chandrashekaraiah, was sworn-in as the second Upa Lokayukta by Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj. Mr Justice Chandrashekaraiah joins first Upa Lok Ayukta,Mr Justice S B Majage. However, the Lokayukta in Karnataka, which has been highly successful as a anti-corruption watchdog, does not have a head.
Angad Cheema wins All India Amateur golf title
- Angad Cheema has won the All India Amateur Golf Championship.
Pattipulam: First village in India Mainland to get RIC Card
- Union Home Minister P Chidambaram launched the Resident Identity (Smart) cards in the coastal village of Pattipulam, about 50 km from Chennai. The small village have thus achieved the unique statues of being the first coastal village in the country (main land) to have received these smart cards under the scheme of National Population Register.
Shoe thrown at Rahul Gandhi
- A shoe was thrown at Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi while he was addressing an election rally in Vikasnagar, in Uttarakhand. The shoe did not reach Mr Gandhi, who responded with let them throw more shoes and urged the people not to beat the youth. Discuss it Here
Govt approves convergence of MPLADS with MGNREGA
- Government has approved convergence of Member of Parliament Local Area Development (MPLADS) with the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) for creating more durable assets.
- With this, the MPs may recommend under MPLADS, works from out of the shelf of MGNREGA projects approved by the Zilla Panchayat for the year when recommendation is being made, and should have been sanctioned by the District Programme Coordinator which constitutes the approved annual work plan under MGNREGA of the district.
- Once a work is recommended for MGNREGA, MPs will not be authorised to withdraw the same.
Bihar gets its first all-women police station
- Bihar’s first all-women police station was opened in Nalanda district. The station will deal exclusively with crimes against women, officials said.
Rajasthan becomes Ranji Champion for Second Consecutive Time
- Defending champions Rajasthan retained the Ranji trophy winning the national championship for the second year in succession, doing so by virtue of their huge first innings lead of 326 runs, over Tamil Nadu at the M A Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai.
- Rajasthan captain Rishikesh Kanitkar attributed his team s victory in the Rani Trophy Cricket Championship final against Tamil Nadu to hard work and team spirit.
Nation rememebers Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
- The nation remembered Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on 23rd January on his birth anniversary.
- He was born on 23 January 1897 in Cuttack, Orissa to Janakinath Bose and Prabhabati Devi.
- He was one of the most prominent leaders in the Indian independence movement and is a legendary figure in India today.
Government allows 100 % FDI in NE power sector
- Central Government has allowed 100% Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) especially from Bangladesh in North East Power sector.
- It was under consideration following expression of interest of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in participating in 726 MW gas-based combined cycle mega power project in Palatana in South Tripura during her recent Tripura visit.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs