GK & Current Affairs: July 25, 2013
1. Recently, which one of the following country decided to allow banks to set their own lending rates to improve falling economy?
In a move toward creating market oriented financial system to support economic growth, the People’s Bank of China and its Central Bank promulgated to lift controls on bank lending rates.
2. United Nations has recognised which of the following dates as “World Toilet Day”?
The United Nations general assembly proclaimed November 19 as World Toilet Day to foster access of basic sanitation services for the world’s poor. This new annual observance will go a long way towards raising awareness about the need for all human beings to have access to sanitations.
3. India's first textile park dedicated to hand block printing and craft has been inaugurated at which place?
First Textile Park dedicated to hand block printing and craft was inaugurated by Union Minister of Textile Dr K S Rao at Bagru near Jaipur, Rajasthan. The park has been named Jaipur Integrated Textile Park Pvt. Ltd.
4. Recently (July 2013), RBI opened a special liquidity window for commercial banks to meet the cash requirement of mutual funds. What is the limit of this window?
The Reserve Bank of IndiaThe Reserve Bank of India was established on April 1, 1935 in accordance with the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 with ..... opened a special liquidity window for commercial banks that will allow banks to barrow a total of Rs 25,000 crore at rate of 10.25%. Banks can barrow this money to lend onwards to Mutual Funds.
5. At what position India did finish in the Archery World Cup stage 3 held in Columbia recently (July 2013)?
India finished at fourth position in the Archery World Cup stage 3 with Deepika Kumari winning gold and bronze medal.
6. Recently (July 2013), which of the following has become the first High Court in India to introduce to online payment of court fee?
[A]Delhi High Court
[B]Mumbai High Court
[C]Madras High Court
[D]Karnataka High Court
Delhi High Court
The Delhi Court introduced online payment of court fee, the first such facility in the country which will save litigants from standing in long queues at the counter. The e-court fee facility, which can be availed either through debit card or net banking, is a joint effort of the Delhi High court and Stock Holding Corporation of India Ltd. Court fee to the extent of Rs 20,000 could be purchased at one time for which charges will be Rs 6 for payment by net banking or Rs 20 plus for payment by debit card.
7. The term “Abenomics” refers to the economic policies advocated by Shinzo Abe. Shinzo Abe is the current (July 2013) Prime Minister of __?
Abenomics refers to the economic policies advocated by Shinzo Abe, the current Prime Minister of Japan. Abenomics is a set of policy measures meant to resolve Japan’s macroeconomics problems. It consists of monetary policy, fiscal policy, and economic growth strategies to encourage private investment.
8. Who among the following has been appointed as director of Bureau of Police Research and Development?
Senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Rajat Gupta took over as director general of Bureau of Police Research and Development, a post that had been lying vacant for more than six months.
9. As per the latest data on India’s poverty, which of the following states have shown biggest drop in percentage of poor?
[A]Bihar and Madhya Pradesh
[B]Odisha and Bihar
[C]Odisha and Jharkhand
[D]Jharkhand and Bihar
Odisha and Bihar
Odisha and Bihar have registered the sharpest decline in poverty levels between 2004-05 and 2011-12, although the proportion of the poor in these states remains well above the national average. In Odisha, the proportion of people below the poverty line in total population came down from 57.2% in 2004-05 to 32.6%.
10. Who among the following has won 13th IPCA World Women’s Individual Chess Championship title for India?
[B]K Jennitha Anto
K Jennitha Anto
India’s K Jennitha Anto won the 13th IPCA World Women’s Individuals Chess Championship title. In the event organized by the International Physically Disabled Chess Association, at Velke Losiny in the Czech Republic.