Why India needs a mature standard ecosystem? Discuss the objectives of the draft Indian national strategy for standardization.
India needs a robust standard ecosystem because:
- The rapid growth of the Indian economy make it essential to establish a robust Quality Infrastructure in India with a harmonized, dynamic, and mature standards ecosystem.
- Standards have been widely recognized as catalysts for technical development, industrial growth, well-being of the society and more recently for convergence of new and emerging technologies. Hence the mature standard system can give impetus for Make in India.
- India is one of the major agri-exporter. Quality standards on agri produce should reflect different varieties and not homogeneity to boost the exports.
- Increasing the exports by enhancing the quality of the exports from the country and achieving an export led growth.
- Evolving right standards for service where country has an advantage.
National strategy on standards can be a key driver of all economic activities relating to goods and services. The Department of Commerce has now come up with a Draft Indian National Strategy for Standardization (INSS). Key objectives of the draft INSS include
- Positioning standards as a key driver of all economic activities relating to goods and services
- Developing a comprehensive ecosystem in India for standards development taking into account the diversity of interests and expertise available
- Using standards as enhancer of competitiveness of Indian goods and services in domestic and international markets
- Providing level playing field to domestic industry
- Adopting best practices in standardization, conformity assessment and technical regulations and creating an integrated infrastructure, roadmaps and institutions for their effective management
- Playing an active role and taking leadership positions in apex international forums in the related areas
- Creating response mechanisms to global developments on standards, technical regulations and conformity assessment practices that impact market access of Indian goods and services
- Aligning the Strategy with other national policies related to trade & industry, consumers and environment
India should be a standard setter not follower. Draft IRSS can aid India in achieving this goal.