Varanasi Cantt railway station bags ‘Eat Right Station’ Certification
Indian Railways’ Varanasi Cantt Railway Station has been awarded a 5-star “Eat Right Station” certification for providing high-quality, nutritious food to passengers. This certification is granted by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) to railway stations that adhere to standard food storage and hygiene practices.
What is the “Eat Right Station” Certification?
The “Eat Right Station” certification is awarded by FSSAI to railway stations that set benchmarks in providing safe and wholesome food to passengers. A third-party audit agency, empaneled by FSSAI, conducts the certification process and rates the stations on a scale of 1 to 5. A 5-star rating indicates full compliance by the station to ensure safe and hygienic food is available to passengers.
What is the “Eat Right India” Movement?
The “Eat Right Station” certification is part of the “Eat Right India” movement, a large-scale effort by FSSAI to transform the country’s food system to ensure safe, healthy, and sustainable food for all Indians. Eat Right India adopts a mix of regulatory, capacity building, collaborative, and empowerment approaches to ensure that our food is suitable both for people and the planet.
What is the need of this initiative?
- Today, in fast-paced environment, working professionals and students are spending majority of their time at the workplace or college campus. Long working hours, long client meetings and classes coupled with short deadlines are increasing the time spent at these places. Thus, they are left with little time left for eating healthy or exercising. Most people eat at least one meal in campus settings. But, eating safe and healthy food is significant in the light of increasing number of foods borne diseases, non-communicable diseases like diabetes, hypertension and heart related diseases.
- In India, 196 million people are undernourished. Furthermore, 135 million are overweight or obese. Number of foodborne illnesses are also increasing year by year. Thus, this initiative is a significant step to ensure safe and nutritious food.
Other 5-Star “Eat Right” Certified Railway Stations
Varanasi Cantt Railway Station is not the only railway station in India to have received the 5-star “Eat Right” certification. Other stations with this distinction include:
- Anand Vihar Terminal Railway Station (Delhi)
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (Mumbai)
- Mumbai Central Railway Station (Mumbai)
- Vadodara Railway Station
- Chandigarh Railway Station
- Bhopal Railway Station
The “Eat Right Station” certification is a testament to the efforts of Varanasi Cantt Railway Station to provide high-quality, nutritious food to its passengers. Along with other 5-star certified stations, it is setting an example for food safety and sustainability in the Indian railway system.
Month: Current Affairs - January, 2023
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs
Topics: Eat Right Station certification • Food safety • FSSAI • Hygiene practices • Varanasi Cantt Railway Station
Current Affairs MCQs PDF - February, 2023
Current Affairs Articles Compilation [PDF] - February, 2023
Current Affairs [PDF] - February 16-28, 2023
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|