India rolls out its First indigenous LCA – Tejas
Tejas, India’s first indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), which is all set to replace the MiG-21 series, developed by the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as its principal partner.
Tejas is the smallest, light weight, single engine, single seat, supersonic, multirole, combat aircraft, and best in its class in the world. It has many features of stealth fighter aircraft. It will be used by both the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Navy.
This fourth generation combat aircraft has Carbon Composites, light weight/high strength material for primary structures, quadruplex Digital Flight Control System; glass Cockpit and digital Avionics to give multirole capabilities with carefree maneuvering. These capabilities are further raised by several on-board Sensors, Communication and Navigation Systems that are supported by powerful Mission Computers and Cockpit Display System.
This is for the first time an indigenously designed and developed military fighter aircraft has certified for Indian Air Force
Features of stealth fighter aircraft
- The aircraft has a totally digital fly-by-wire control system; the wings are made entirely of composite structures.
- Built by unstable configuration’ technique. It has open architecture software for avionics. DRDO can update it as and when required.
- It integrates a ‘glass cockpit’ in which information is displayed ‘real-time’ to the pilot.
What is the future planning of Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO)?
- Plans to test fire the indigenous Astra missile and guns from the Tejas.
- Working on MARK-II type Tejas aircraft, which has a better thrust and improved radar system than Mark-I type Tejas LCA (i.e. inducting in the Indian Air Force)
- Working on the Combat variant, Trainer variant and Naval variants of Tejas.
- DRDO developed a special facility in Goa, to notice the conditions for a Tejas for Navy landing, take-off and maneuver from an aircraft carrier.
- Note: Stealth aircraft are designed to avoid detection using a variety of advanced technologies that reduce reflection/emission of radar, infrared, visible light, Radio-Frequency (RF) spectrum, and audio, collectively known as stealth technology.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|