Current Affairs March 27, 2010
Chairman INTACH: Maj Gen (Retd) L K Gupta
The Indian National Trust For Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) is a nationwide, non-profit membership organization. INTACH was set up in 1984 to protect and conserve India’s vast natural and cultural heritage. Maj Gen (Retd) L K Gupta gets elected as Chairman of the INTACH.
Manipur Women Commission Chairperson : Dr L Ibetombi Devi
Dr L Ibetombi Devi, a paediatrician and a well-known social worker of Manipur is the new chairperson of Manipur State Commission for Women.
Here is a List of Chairpersons of State Women Commissions in India
Events, Happenings & Observances:
Earth Hour 2010:
- Earth Hour 2010 was a rare event when households and businesses all over the world turned off their non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change.
- The event is organised by (World Wide Fund for Nature since 2007.
- The inaugural Earth Hour was held in Sydney on March 31, 2007.
- It was conceived by WWF and The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Earth Hour is held from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. local time at the respective country on Last Saturday of March Every year 2007 onwards.
- Earth Hour 2010 fell on March 27.
- In India Abhishek Bachchan is the brand ambassador of this year’s Earth Hour.
National Convention on Law, Justice and the Common Man
National Convention on Law, Justice and the Common Man is inaugurated in New Delhi. It is organised by Legal and Human Rights Department of the All India Congress Committee (AICC). A statement comes from Party President Sonia Gandhi that Centre would provide Rs 1400 crore to states for setting up 5,000 Gram Nyayalayas that would usher in a revolution by providing inexpensive justice to people in rural areas at their doorsteps and reduce arrears of 2.5 crore cases pending across various levels of judiciary.
Vardhamana Mahavira is the last one in the galaxy of Twenty-four Teerthankaras of jains. He was born in the year 599 B.C. (615 BC by Digambar sect) and has been acclaimed as one of the greatest prophets of peace and social reformation that our country has ever produced. It is celebrated on 13th day of the rising moon of Chaitra. (Chaitra Shukla Trayodashi)
‘Prithvi-II’, ‘Dhanush’ missiles test fired successfully
- Prithvi II is the Air Force Version of 250 km range with a payload of 500 kg of India’s tactical surface-to-surface, short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) developed by DRDO of India under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program.
- It was launched from Launch Complex-III at Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur on sea, Balasore District of Orissa, on March 27, 2010.
- Dhanush is a Naval variant of the Prithvi short-range ballistic missile and it can be launched from the Ships.
- Dhanush is being perceived as a high precision strike weapon capable of striking both sea and shore based targets to be deployed on its surface ships.
- Both of these test launches were 100% successful.
- Both of them are part of India’s Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
Business & Economy:
Essar Group Deal in Indonesia:
Essar Group signs an agreement to buy Aries coal mines in Indonesia. However as per newspapers the deal is subject to regulatory approvals.
AT&T; Mahindra share purchasing deal
On March 24, 2010 , American telecom major AT&T; Inc buys 8.07 % stake in Indian IT services firm Tech Mahindra Ltd for about $197 million. AT&T; purchased about 98.7 lakh shares in an off-market transaction at $3.5, or about Rs 162, per share.
On March 21, 2010, Sahara Adventure Sports has won Bidding of IPL’s new franchisee Pune and Rendezvous Sports has won bidding for Kochi of Indian Premier League for 10 years. Two new teams from Pune and Kochi will be playing in the IPL from 2011. The entry of Kochi and Pune takes the total number of IPL franchises to 10, and the number of matches to 94.
The Sahara group offered $370 million or Rs 1,702 crore for Pune and Rendezvous offered $333.33 million or Rs 1,533 crore) for Kochi and clinched the deal
Lakshmi Mittal richest Asian in Britain in 2010
Lakshami Niwas Mittal is richest Asian in Britain for the year 2010 with an estimated wealth of 17 billion pound as per the latest Asian Rich List 2010, brought out by Eastern Eye. He is followed by Hinduja Brothers.
Capital Infusion in Banks : The Tier 1 Exercise
To make sure that Indian banks stay healthy, the Reserve Bank of India mandates certain rules. One of them is related to Capital Adequacy. Read Here
Sonam Kapoor : Brand ambassador for Spice Mobiles
Daughter of Anil Kapoor , Sonam Kapoor is the new , who made a debut with Sanjay Leela Bansali’s Saawariyaa is the new Brand Ambassador for Spice Mobiles.
Topics: Current Affairs 2010 • Defence Research and Development Organisation • Dhanush • Essar Group • India • Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage • Indian Premier League • Lakshmi Mittal • Missiles • Prithvi • Sahara India Pariwar • Short-range ballistic missiles • Tech Mahindra
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|