Coast Guard: Induct of Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Mark III
Eastern region of Indian Coast Guard, inducted the indigenously designed and developed Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Mark III on June 20, 2022.
- Advanced Light Helicopter is the first aircraft of newly created “840 Squadron”.
- It will be positioned in the Coast Guard Region East.
- Capabilities of the first ALH MK-III aircraft would enhance the operational footprint of Unit.
Where will the aircraft be stationed?
The new aircraft will be stationed at Chennai, which is the headquarters of Eastern Region of Coast Guard. Three more Advanced Light Helicopter will be added to inventory of ‘840 Squadron’ soon.
Water cannon salute
The Advanced Light Helicopter Mark III was received at the Coast Guard Air Station in Chennai, with ‘water cannon salute’.
Features of the aircraft
- Coast Guard achieved a multifield capability of Beyond Visual Range detection, by stationing the aircraft in Chennai.
- Multifield capability has been achieved by using state-of-the-art radar integrated with long range imaging as well as by identifying the Automatic Identification System and Electro Optical Pod.
- It is additionally is equipped to carry target neutralisation, and to use its mounted heavy machine gun.
- Through concerted aerial efforts, the aircraft will address India’s multi-faceted marine interests within Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
Who has developed the ALH MK-III?
The ALH MK-III has been indigenously designed and developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). It will boost the air-arm of coast guard. Till now, HAL has delivered 13 aircrafts out of 16 to the Indian Coast Guard.
Indian Coast Guard (ICG)
ICG is a maritime law enforcement, search and rescue agency of India. It has jurisdiction over the territorial waters including exclusive economic zone and contiguous zone. ICC was formally established on February 1, 1977 in accordance with Coast Guard Act, 1978. It works under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Defence.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2022
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|