Army Day 2022
74th Indian Army Day is being celebrated in India on January 15, 2022.
- Indian Army Day is celebrated to honour soldiers of the armed forces in India, for their selfless service.
- The day is celebrated at all army command offices across India as well as the headquarters in New Delhi.
Why is the day marked on January 15?
The day is marked on January 15, every year because on this day Lieutenant General KM Cariappa was appointed to the post in 1949. He became the first Indian to head the forces. Since then, this day has become a significant day for Indian history. It was the first time an Indian soldier took reigns of the armed forces.
How is the day celebrated?
- Indian Army Day marks the celebration of not only the brave soldiers, but also marks the transfer of power from British rule to India.
- On this day, a grand parade is organised at Cariappa parade ground in Delhi cantonment.
- The salute of this parade is usually taken by Indian Army Chief. Thus, in 2022, General Manoj Mukund Naravane will make the salute on the occasion.
- Apart from this, the Day also involves a showcase of all the weapons in Indian Army arsenal. The latest kind of weapons, helicopters, drones, etc are displayed with great pride.
- In 2022, latest weapons that were acquired, indigenously-developed and imported, will be showcased.
- Latest additions on display include- 155mm Soltum Gun, BLT T-72 ‘Bharat Rakshak’ tank, and BrahMos Missiles.
Bravery awards including unit credentials and Sena medals will also awarded in 2022, to mark the Indian Army Day.
New Camouflage Uniform
In 2022 celebration, all new camouflage uniform will also be showcased during the parade. The uniform has been designed in partnership between Indian Army and National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT).
The Indian Army
Land based Indian Army is the largest component of the Indian Armed Forces. The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Army. Indian Army is professionally headed by Chief of Army Staff (COAS), who is a four-star general. Indian Army in its current form was founded on February 26, 1950.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|