Anshu Malik:1st Indian woman wrestler to reach World Championship final
On October 6, 2021, Anshu Malik has become the first Indian woman wrestler to reach the final of 2021 World Wrestling Championships.
- She created this history after outclassing junior European champion Solomiia Vynnyk.
- The 19-year-old wrestler from India and reigning Asian champion, Anshu, controlled the semi-final from the beginning. She won by technical superiority in the 57 kg category.
- Till date, only four Indian women wrestlers have won medals at the Worlds, namely Geeta Phogat in 2012, Babita Phogat in 2012, Pooja Dhanda in 2018 while Vinesh Phogat in 2019. All of them have clinched bronze medal.
- Anshu has also became only the sixth Indian ever to make the Worlds gold medal match. Before her, Bishambar Singh, Sushil Kumar, Amit Dahiya, Bajrang Punia and Deepak Punia have made to the gold medal match.
- India has only one world Champion, named Sushil Kumar.
Who is Anshu Malik?
Anshu Malik is an Indian freestyle wrestler. She won gold in the 60 kg category in the Cadet Wrestling Championships. She won one of the bronze medals in 57 kg category at the 2020 Asian Wrestling Championships, that was held in New Delhi, in 2020. She also won the silver medal in women’s 57 kg event at 2020 Individual Wrestling World Cup, Serbia. In Asian Wrestling Championships 2021, she won Gold medal. She belongs to the family of wrestlers. Coach Jagdeesh is her coach, who give her training at Chaudhary Bharat Singh Memorial Sports School in Nidani. Her father Dharamvir Malik, was an international wrestler and has worked with the CISF.
Category: Sports Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|