World’s Highest Lake Discovered in the Nepal
A lake which has been recently discovered in Nepal is officially set to be the world’s highest lake, once the record keepers are able to verify its elevation.
If confirmed, the new lake will be the world’s highest lake replacing Lake Tilicho, the previous holder of this title. Lake Tilicho is located at an altitude of 4919 meters in the Himalayas and if the new lake is located above 5000 meters, it will be the highest lake in the world.
What has happened?
- The new lake, also known as Kajin Sara lake, is located in the Manang district, Nepal.
- The lake is estimated to be nearly 1500 meters long and 600 meters wide.
- It was discovered recently by a team of mountaineers.
- As per the initial measurements which were taken by local authorities, the lake is located at an altitude of 5200 meters.
What about Lake Tilicho?
- The Tilicho lake which is situated at an elevation of 4919 meters.
- It has a length of 4 km, a width of 1.2 km and a depth of 200 meters.
- The lake is located in the Annapurna range of the Himalayas.
- However, there a few higher and larger lakes located in Nepal and in Tibet but currently, the title of the world’s highest lake is held by Lake Tilicho.
Lake Tsomgo?in India
- In India, the Tsomgo Lake, which is also known as Tsongmo Lake or Changu Lake, is the lake located at very high elevation.
- It is a glacial lake located in the East Sikkim district of the Indian state of Sikkim at a height of 3753 meters.
- Given its severe ecosystem, the lake is mostly frozen in the winter season.
- The lake has a length of 836 meters, a width of 427 meters and an average depth of 4.58 meters.