WhatsApp Launches Tip Line to curb Fake News
Social Media Platform WhatsApp has launched an India-focused fact-checking feature to combat fake news and rumours starting with the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections.
Curbing Fake News
- Users can check the authenticity of the information or rumours received on the platform by reporting the forward to the WhatsApp number +91-9643-000-888.
- The response will indicate if the information is classified as ‘true’, ‘false’, ‘misleading’, ‘disputed’ or ‘out of scope’, and include any other related information.
- Pictures, video links or texts in Hindi, Telugu, Bengali, Malayalam and English will be reviewed by WhatsApp.
- This tip line feature has been developed by WhatsApp in collaboration with India-based media skilling startup PROTO.
- The tip line feature will help to create a database of rumours to study misinformation during elections as part of a research project commissioned and assisted by WhatsApp.
As more data flows in, WhatsApp will be able to identify the most susceptible or affected issues, locations, languages, regions, etc. The verification reports Whatsapp sends back will encourage the users to send more signals for analysis.