UNSC condemns Pulwama Terror Attack
The United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned the “heinous and cowardly” Pulwama suicide terror attack in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed. The highlights of the joint statement issued by the UNSC are:
- The joint statement noted that terrorist organisation Jaish-e-Mohammed has claimed responsibility for the Pulawama Terror Attack.
- The members of UNSC expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims, as well as to the Indian people and the government of India, and wished a speedy and full recovery to those who were injured.
- The members of the Security Council reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security.
- The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice.
- The joint statement reiterated that “any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed”.
- UNSC has urged all states to combat by all means, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations and other obligations under international law, including international human rights law, international refugee law and international humanitarian law, threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts.
Does China’s stand signal a shift?
The statement issued by the Chinese Foreign ministry after the Pulwama terror attack did not mention JeM, Pakistan or even Kashmir. Also, China is singlehandedly blocked the listing of JeM chief Masood Azhar as a “global terrorist” at the UN Security Council Resolution 1267 sanctions committee for the last 10 years at Pakistan’s behest.
Therefore China’s agreement to mention JeM is seen by a section as a signal of changing stance of China. But these arguments are countered by highlighting JeM is a UN-proscribed terrorist group since 2002 and China has not yet yielded on Azhar’s listing. Hence there is no change in China’s stand.