Union Cabinet approves Policy on Promotion of City Compost
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval to Policy on Promotion of City Compost.
This policy will help in circulating compost produced from city waste for the purpose of farming and agriculture.
Key features of Policy
- For increasing production and consumption of City Compost, provision for Market development assistance of Rs. 1500 per tonne of city compost has been added.
- Farmers will be benefitted from lower MRP of city compost as result of Market development assistance.
- To ensure that environment friendly quality city compost, eco-Mark standard has been made mandatory.
- Fertilizer companies will co-market City Compost along with chemical fertilizers. For promoting the use of compost, these companies will adopt villages.
- It will be mandatory for Public Sector undertakings and Government Departments to use City Compost for purpose of their horticulture.
- Concerned Ministries will undertake campaigns to create awareness among farmers about benefits of city compost and its uses.
- Agriculture Universities and other departments will also contribute in demonstration activities related to use of City compost.
In the initial phase, promotion and marketing of city compost will be done through the existing fertilizer companies. But later, it will be done by compost manufacturers and other marketing entities after the approval from Department of Fertilisers.
- Composting is process of recycling of organic matter or waste into useful fertilizers for soil.
- Compost obtained from city garbage will provide primary as well as secondary nutrients to soil improving its productivity.
- It will play pivotal role municipal waste management especially keeping the city clean and also generate revenue from the waste. It will also generate employment in urban areas.
- Prevent the production of harmful greenhouse gases (GHGs) especially methane (CH4) and toxic material. Thus, keeping environment and groundwater clean.