National Commission for Women: WhatsApp Number for Pregnant Women
The National Commission for Women recently launched the WhatsApp number for pregnant women. The helpline number is 9354954224. It is a “message only” helpline number. It will provide round the clock medical assistance to expectant mothers all over the country. The National Commission for Women has set up a dedicated team to look after the grievances raised from pregnant women on the number.
National Commission for Women
- It was established under the National Commission for Women Act in 1992.
- The body reviews legal and constitutional safeguards of women.
- The chairperson of the commission is appointed by the Government of India. Also, the other five members in the commission are also appointed by the GoI. These members should have experience in women voluntary organisation, economic development, legislation, administration, etc.
- Jayanti Patnaik was the first Chairperson of National Commission for Women.
Functions of National Commission for Women
- Investigates and examines the matters related to the safeguards of the women as provided by the Constitution of India
- Presents reports about working on those safeguards
- Recommends safeguards to enhance conditions of women in the country
- It takes Suo Moto Notices in matters related to deprivation of women rights
The National Commission for Women has no legislative powers. It shall only suggest amendments. It does not have the power to choose its own executives. The commission is reliant on financial assistance from the Government of India.
Pregnant Women in India
- According to National Family Health Survey 5, anaemia among pregnant women has increased in more than half of the states and union territories.
- The survey also says that Child marriages have increased in the states of Assam, Tripura and Manipur.
- The states that have showed increase in teenage pregnancies are Manipur, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Nagaland.
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|