Jurisdiction of Krishna & Godavari River boards notified
Central Government has notified jurisdiction of Krishna River Management Board (KRMB) & Godavari River Management Boards (GRMB), Seven years after their constitution under Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act.
- With the constitution of boards, Centre transferred operation of all projects, including generation of hydel power, in two river basins in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana to them. It will be in effective from October 14, 2021.
- Notification was issued by Ministry of Jal Shakti (MoJS).
- Notification brought 35 projects in Krishna basin and 71 in Godavari basin, under purview of boards.
- It empowered the boards to operate headworks of barrages, dams, reservoirs, part of canal network, regulating structures, transmission lines and power houses at projects.
- P. and Telangana will deposit Rs 200 crore each to bank account of KRMB within sixty days of publication of notification in order to enable boards to discharge its functions effectively.
Signification of notification
This notification by Ministry of Jal Shakti is significant in light of escalation of dispute between Andhra Pradesh and Telangana with respect to project works and hydel generation at three reservoirs namely, Srisailam, Nagarjuna sagar and Pulichintala.
Dispute between Andhra and Telangana
Andhra has been demanding notification for boards’ purview for long while Telangana has been opposing it claiming that handing over operation of projects without providing clarity on states’ share of water will be meaningless.
Function of KRMB
KRMB has been mandated with task of regulating supply of water and power generated from projects and its components having regard to awards made by Krishna Water Disputes Tribunal (KWDT).
Function notified for CISF
Centre’s notification also authorises Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) to assist KRMB in its day-to-day management of the projects and other works of security assigned by KRMB on terms & conditions laid down by Central government.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
Topics: Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act 2014 • Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) • Dispute between Andhra and Telangana • Godavari River Management Boards (GRMB) • Krishna River Management Board (KRMB)
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|