Jal Shakti Abhiyan
The Ministry of Jal Shakti of Central government is set to initiate the Jal Shakti Abhiyan to ramp up rainwater harvesting and conservation efforts in 255 water-stressed districts from July 1.
About the Campaign
- The campaign aims to accelerate water harvesting, conservation and borewell recharge activities already being carried out under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee scheme and the Integrated Watershed Management Programme along with existing water body restoration and afforestation schemes.
- The campaign would run from July 1 to September 15 in States receiving rainfall during the south-west monsoon and States receiving rainfall in the retreating or north-east monsoon would be covered from October 1 to November 30.
- 313 blocks with critical groundwater levels along with 1,186 blocks with over-exploited groundwater and 94 blocks with low groundwater availability would be covered under the campaign.
- The campaign would be coordinated by 255 central IAS officers of Joint or Additional Secretary-rank, drawn from various ministries similar to the Gram Swaraj Abhiyan, where central officials monitored the implementation of seven flagship development schemes in 117 aspirational districts across the country last year.
- There would be real-time progress monitoring through mobile applications and an online dashboard at indiawater.gov.in.
- The campaign would involve Block and district-level water conservation plans and Kisan Vigyan Kendras would hold exhibitions to promote better crop choices and more efficient water use for irrigation.
- Communications campaign on TV, radio, print, local and social media would be carried out, with celebrities mobilised to generate awareness for the campaign.
Under the campaign officers from various central ministries would fan out across the country making at least three trips of three days each to cover their allocated districts and blocks.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
Topics: Gram Swaraj Abhiyan • Groundwater • Integrated Watershed Management Programme • Kisan Vigyan Kendra • Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme • Ministry of Jal Shakti • north-east monsoon • Rainwater harvesting • Retreating Monsoon • South West Monsoon • Water conservation