Hafiz Saeed arrested in Pakistan
The law enforcement bodies, primarily the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) in Pakistan have arrested the Hafiz Saeed.
Who is Hafiz Saeed?
- Hafiz Saeed is the head of the Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD).
- He was the mastermind of 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
- He has been designated a Specially Designated Global Terrorist by the US Department of the Treasury.
- The US has offered a USD 10 million reward for any information that leads to his arrest.
- India also considers Saeed as the most wanted terrorist because of his ties to Lashkar-e-Taiba and his alleged involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, the 2006 Mumbai train bombings, and the 2001 Indian Parliament attack.
- Saeed is also listed on the NIA Most Wanted list.
What is the Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD)?
- The Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) is a charitable front for the Pakistani extremist group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
- The LeT is one of the largest and most actively funded terrorist organization in the world.
- The LeT has been accused by India for attacking military and civilian targets in India with numerous attacks like the 2001 Indian Parliament attack, the 2008 Mumbai attacks and the 2019 Pulwama attack.
- The LeT is banned in Pakistan but the political arm of the group, Jamat ud Dawah (JuD) has remained un-banned.