Govt to support Public Sector Companies for Vaccine Production
Union Government has decided to support some public sector companies with grants under the Mission COVID Suraksha to boost covid-19 vaccine production.
Among the companies, one is Hyderabad based Indian Immunological limited (IIL), a facility under PSU named “National Dairy Development Board”. IIL and Bharat Biotech have signed a technical agreement for IIL to supply drug substance to Bharat Biotech, required to produce COVAXIN Vaccine.
Mission COVID Suraksha
Mission COVID Suraksha was launched under Atmanirbhar Bharat 3.0 and is targeted effort which enable development of indigenous, affordable and accessible vaccines in India. Mission focuses on preclinical development through clinical trials and manufacturing & regulatory facilitation to consolidate all available and funded resources to accelerate development of product
How it was funded?
Phase-I of COVID Suraksha Mission was allotted rs 900 Crore for 12 months. Grant was provided by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) to conduct Research and Development on Indian Covid-19 vaccines.
Who led the mission?
COVID Mission is led by DBT while a “Mission Implementation Unit” at Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) implemented it.
Objectives of mission
- To accelerate pre-clinical and clinical development.
- To provide license to Covid-19 vaccine candidates which were in clinical stages.
- To establish clinical trial sites.
- To strengthen existing central laboratories and suitable facilities for animal studies, production facilities etc.
- To support development of common harmonized protocols, training and data management systems etc.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2021
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|