GoI launches 5 initiatives towards Conservation of Biodiversity
On May 22, 2020, to celebrate the International Day for Biological Diversity, 2020, the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched five initiatives on conservation of biodiversity.
The five initiatives include the following
- The “Biodiversity Samrakshan Internship Programme” was launched. It aims at engaging 20 students in post graduate programme for a period of 1 year. The programme will engage creative students that are willing to learn about biodiversity conservation and natural resource management.
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) campaign called Illegal Trafficking of Endangered Species was launched. The campaign is called “Not All Animals Migrate by Choice”.
- The Wildlife Crime Control Bureau campaign called Not All Animals Migrate by Choice was launched.
- A Webinar series was launched. The series was on “Biodiversity Conservation and Biological Diversity Act, 2002”.
- The World Wildlife Fund Model Conference of Parties was launched. It includes younger generation. This will engage them towards imprint of humanity towards biodiversity.
International Day of Biological Diversity
Every year, the International Day of Biological Diversity is celebrated by the United Nations. The day is celebrated under the theme “Our Solutions are in Nature”.
Super Year for Biodiversity
The United Nations framed 20 global actions to be implemented between 2010 and 2020. This is called Strategic Plan for Biodiversity. The year 2020 is called Super Year for Biodiversity.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2020
Category: Environment Current Affairs