Former Goa CM Dr Wilfred de Souza passes away
Former Chief Minister of Goa Dr Wilfred de Souza passed away in Panaji. He was 88.
He had served as Goa CM for three times and was known for his combative brand of politics. He was key politician to bring Congress to power in Goa in 1980.
About Dr Wilfred de Souza
- Dr Wilfred de Souza was born on 23 April 1927 in Kampala, Uganda.
- By profession he was Doctor/surgeon and was one of Goa’s most skilled surgeons. He was double Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Britain.
- Political career: He had entered into active politics after successfully contesting state assembly elections for the first time in 1974.
- He became CM, for first time in May 1993 and was in office till April 1994. Second time he was in office from April 1994 to November 1998 and third time from July to February 1999.
- He also had served as Deputy Chief Minister of Goa in the Congress led coalition government from February 2005 to June 2007.
- Awards: He has received Dr B C Roy award for best medical man-cum-statesman (1996), Portuguese Government’s Commander, Grand Cross of the Order of Dom Infante Henriques, Indira Gandhi Solidarity Award, Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award (1992) etc.