Current Affairs: September 2, 2011
Efforts by ITBP to increase infrastructure and logistics at Sino-Indian border
- Efforts are on by The Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) force to increase its infrastructure and logistics at the Sino-Indian border.
- Information received about development of infrastructure by China on its side
- Step taken by the Government to strengthen border management with a focus on security
Chhattisgarh may become 6th state of the country to implement citizen’s charter
- Chhattisgarh may become the 6th state in the country to implement the citizens’ charter.
- All those governmental services meant for the common people on a regular basis come under its purview
- The draft bill is named Public Service Guarantee bill
- According to the government this bill will reduce corruption and difficulties faced by the common man while availing certain services
Exercise of approving annual plans should be dispensed by Planning Commission : C Rangarajan
- According to an expert committee headed by Chairman of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council C Rangarajan, Planning Commission should dispense with the exercise of approving annual Plans of states
- The committee recommended Planning Commission to be responsible for formulation of the Five-Year Plan and the task of firming up annual budgets should be assigned to the Finance Ministry
- It suggested removal of planned and non-planned distinction in the Budget and all public expenditure should be split into capital and revenue expenditure.
- According to the panel, shift in budgeting approach is needed to ensure proper and timely implementation and monitoring of the centrally sponsored programs and other schemes
- The new approach advocated by the Committee will ensure better delivery of services particularly in the areas of health, education and infrastructure development.
- The Committee was constituted by the government to suggest steps to improve management of the public expenditure
Violation of FEMA by Companies involved in 2G Scam: Enforcement Directorate to SC
- The Supreme Court was informed by the Enforcement Directorate that companies involved in the 2G scam violated the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) to the tune of Rs 10000 crore.
- The directorate detected FEMA violations to the tune of Rs 9,929.80 crore, the agency can now slap a penalty three times the violation.
- The enforcement directorate under the FEMA can thus slap a fine of nearly Rs 30000 crore, which was equivalent to the loss to the exchequer as estimated by the CBI due to alleged irregular allotment of the 2G spectrum in 2008
- The directorate is examining transactions involving around 350 accounts, of which nearly 200 were intimated by the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU)
- Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) keeps track of suspicious movement of money in foreign accounts
Rajkumar Ghosh becomes Director-refineries of state-run Indian Oil Corp (IOC)
- Rajkumar Ghosh took the chair of Director-refineries of state-run Indian Oil Corp (IOC).
- Mr.Rajkumar succeeded BN Bankapur
- Ghosh was working as executive director-refineries at IOC headquarters
- Also served as the executive director at Panipat refinery