Amit Shah launches Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign at Sohra (Cherrapunji)
On 25th July, 2021 the Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign at Sohra (Cherrapunji) was launched by Home Minister Amit Shah. “Evergreen Northeast”, was the slogan given for this campaign highlighting the importance of tree plantation and afforestation. This campaign will be run by the Assam Rifles and the Meghalaya.
- At Cherrapunji, Amit Shah launched two important development projects before arriving in Guwahati.
- Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign and also inaugurated Greater Sohra Water Supply Scheme were launched by the minister.
- ‘Evergreen Northeast’ was used to highlight the importance of afforestation and tree plantation in the state.
- Cherrapunji (locally it is known as Sohra) used to receive rainfalls throughout the year, but this has gone down due to the indiscriminate harvesting that has been done in the area under the name of development.
- The Greater Sohra Water Supply Scheme was also inaugurated by the minister.
About Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign
For the plantation drive, Assam Rifles will adopt the entire locality of Cherrapunji. 80% and above of the total land areas of this region has been prepared for the plantation of long lifespan trees and the remaining areas would be used for nurseries, ornamental plants and animal feed. Eco-tourism would also benefit the locals of the state.
About Greater Sohra Water Supply Scheme
Under the Jal Jeevan Mission initiative, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region and the state government have decided to provide pure drinking water to every household through taps. Providing clean drinking water to the families, some living in the remote areas of the state is a challenge that will be fulfilled.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|